Featured

Donald Trump continues law firm revenge tour; penalizes WilmerHale, which employed Robert Mueller

President Trump signed an executive order Thursday revoking the security clearances for attorneys at WilmerHale, a high-powered Washington law firm that once employed former special counsel Robert Mueller.

The order says the law firm “has abandoned the profession’s highest ideals and abused its pro bono practice to engage in activities that undermine justice and the interests of the United States.”

WilmerHale engages in obvious partisan representations to achieve political ends, supports efforts to discriminate based on race, backs the obstruction of efforts to prevent illegal aliens from committing horrific crimes and trafficking deadly drugs within our borders, and furthers the degradation of the quality of American elections, including supporting efforts designed to enable noncitizens to vote,” the order reads.

A WilmerHale spokesperson called Executive Order “unlawful” and noted that a similar order targeting another law firm had been enjoined by a federal judge.

“Our firm has a longstanding tradition of representing a wide range of clients, including in matters against administrations of both parties,” the spokesperson said.

“The Executive Order references Robert Mueller, who retired from our firm in 2021, and had a long, distinguished career in public service, from his time as a Marine Corps officer in Vietnam to his leadership of the FBI in the aftermath of the September 11th terrorist attacks,” the spokesperson continued. “We remain committed to providing expert representation that our clients are entitled and rely upon.”

The spokesperson said the firm will pursue “all appropriate remedies.”

The order revokes security clearances for lawyers at the firm, prohibits them from receiving government contracts, and limits their access to government buildings.

Mr. Mueller joined WilmerHale in 2014 after more than a decade as FBI director. He left to serve as special counsel directing the investigation into contacts by Mr. Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign with Russian officials. After ending his term as special counsel, he returned to private practice at WilmerHale.

WilmerHale has also represented several plaintiffs suing the Trump administration over its policies.

The order is the latest in a series of orders penalizing major law firms connected to lawyers who have worked on investigations into the president or cases against him. Covington & Burling, Perkins Coie, Jenner & Block and Paul Weiss have also been targeted with executive orders.

Earlier this month, a federal judge enjoined the order against Perkins Coie.

Source link

Related Posts

1 of 164