Featured

Schumer calls for probe of national security officials’ group text with journalist on Yemen attack

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer is calling for a congressional investigation into a group text chain where top national security officials mistakenly included a journalist in their discussion of plans to bomb Houthi targets across Yemen.

The New York Democrat cited a “stunning and alarming report” in The Atlantic in which the publication’s editor-in-chief, Jeffrey Goldberg, revealed top Trump administration national security officials accidentally included him on the group text chain on the messaging app Signal to discuss military operations targeting the Houthis earlier this month.

The text chain was reportedly set up by President Trump’s national security adviser Michael Waltz and included Vice President J.D. Vance, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, among other top national security officials. 

The group initially debated the merits of targeting the Houthis at that time, given broader economic concerns, according to texts Mr. Goldberg shared in his report. He withheld potentially classified information but said Mr. Hegseth shared targets, weapons and other operational details about the planned strikes on the Houthis in Yemen.

“This is one of the most stunning breaches of military intelligence I have read about in a very, very long time,” Mr. Schumer said in floor remarks Monday. “It’s bad enough that a private citizen was added to this chain, but it’s far worse that sensitive military information was exchanged on an unauthorized application, especially when that classified military information was so important.”

He said Republicans and Democrats alike should demand accountability and put a stop to the sharing of military secrets through unsecured text chains.

“If these details fell into the hands of America’s enemies, it could get people killed; it could severely harm our military; it would put America’s national security in danger,” Mr. Schumer said. “This debacle requires a full investigation into how this happened, the damage it created and how we can avoid it in the future.”

Several other Democratic lawmakers made similar calls for an investigation and accountability. That included House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, who said the national security leak “is completely outrageous and shocks the conscience.”

“If House Republicans are truly serious about keeping America safe, and not simply being sycophants and enablers, they must join Democrats in a swift, serious and substantive investigation into this unacceptable and irresponsible national security breach,” the New York Democrat said.

House Speaker Mike Johnson, Louisiana Republican, did not mention a potential investigation when reporters asked him about the matter Monday, but he rebuffed suggestions that Mr. Waltz and Mr. Hegseth should be disciplined.

“Clearly I think the administration has acknowledged that it was a mistake and they’ll tighten up and make sure it doesn’t happen again,” he said.

Senate Armed Services Chairman Roger Wicker, Mississippi Republican, told CNN his panel would investigate the leak and the use of Signal to discuss military operations.

“It’s definitely a concern. You can be sure the committee, House and Senate will be looking into this,” he said, noting he expects classified briefings on the matter. 

Mr. Schumer said national security officials are not authorized to use Signal to discuss military plans and that the government has secure communications channels for that purpose. 

He suggested that any lawmaker who raised concerns about former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton using a private email server for official communications should also be concerned about this breach of protocol.

“If you were up in arms over unsecured emails years ago, you should certainly be outraged by this amateurish behavior,” Mr. Schumer said. 

Citing Mr. Hegseth’s role in the group text, Mr. Schumer said Senate Democrats who universally opposed his confirmation as Defense secretary warned that something like this might happen. 

“These people are clearly not up for the job,” Mr. Schumer said. “We warned that confirming them was dangerous, and that they would behave recklessly.”

Source link

Related Posts

1 of 163